Communicating and Providing Ongoing Support
This module provides two separate ‘streams’ of information, one for educators and one for health care professionals. The module offers practical tips and suggestions about what you can do to actively support children and teens through a family member’s illness, how to talk with children and teens, and how to support children and teens when a family member dies.
- How to open and maintain communication with the family
- How to assess the family’s needs
- What ways can support be offered to children and teen in educational and health care settings
- Suggestions for helping children and teens prepare for and cope with loss
- Resources for Educators, HCP, and Parents
- Resources for Children
- Resources for Teens
- Additional Resources
- Ressources en francais
- Educator: Ways You Can Support
- Explanation for Terms Relating to Dying
- Health Care Professional: Helping With Hospital Visits
- Health Care Professional: Actions to take
- Supporting Grieving Students
- Talking with Young People About Illness
- Attending Funerals
1. View in full screen
The modules are best viewed in Full Screen mode. This command can be found in your browser menu.
2. How to navigate
To navigate between modules, use the back button, found in the top left corner of you browser.
3. Turn on your speakers
The modules contain audio segments, so please ensure that your computer’s speakers are turned on.